In this video, David Suchet, the man who played Poirot for 25 years shares his story about how it went much beyond acting a role, and became a passionate journey of becoming a fictional person.
- He scanned all the books featuring poirot
- He made typed lists of every reference related to the person and nature of poirot
- He noted the character, nature, idiosynchracies, lovable elements, the unpleasant elements, the language, the accent, the origins, his eating preferences, his way of walking, every thing.
- His one desire was to know Poirot more, so that he could more realistically represent him on screen
- He could then intuitively know how Poirot would act and behave in a certain situation.
- so much so that, finally people used to call him Poirot when he passes in the street. People didn't know him as David Suchet, but as Poirot.
We are called to be ambassadors of Christ. We have been saved by his blood, we've been saved to become like him. And yet, how casual is our passion and pursuit of achieving this? If a man could spend 25 years of his life in representing a fictional character on earth, and take the diligence to learn about him more to be like him, How much more should we believers take that step to know and learn to be like the king of kings and the lord of lords and to represent him here on this earth? Especially if we realize that the heavenly position depends on how much we've become like Him here on this earth. The greatest gospel message is a man who is like Christ in every way.
And I am not talking about imitation here. I am talking about transformation.
If we were serious about our faith, we would spend our lives with one desire - to be like him who saved us. We'd scan the Bible to know the nature of God and the nature of his Son Jesus Christ. We'd list every verse in the bible to know the person and nature of Christ. We'd know what makes him pleased, angry and sad. We'd know what delights him. We'd want to become like him. We'd exude the fruits of the spirit and righteousness, because that's His nature. We'd spend our lives for one thing (irrespective of our secular jobs and calling); that is, to pursue His nature and presence. We'd want to move from the realm of Acting to Being. The others would publicly recognize that we're christ like ! Some would be offended as they would be offended if Christ walked here. Others would glow with the receipt of eternal life, as they would have if Christ walked here.
A few verses to show us that this is indeed God's plan for us in the new testament.
- We're predestined to conform to the image of Jesus - Rom 8:29 - For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- We're to be partakers of His divine nature - II Pet 1:4 - Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust
- We're expected to have the mind of Christ, as Paul was able to have - Phil 2:5 - Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
- The Lord says - learn of jesus - and he shall give you rest. Matt 11:29 - Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
- He is our example - John 13:15 - For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you
- Follow His steps - 1Pet 2:21 - For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps
- Walk as He walked - 1 John 2:6 - He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked
This is a desire to return to the Centrality of Christ.. may every thought of me be turned to Him, my study be focused on his person and nature, my life focused on living his teachings, my desire to gain His approval, and my goal to turn many to Him, without which all purpose maybe deemed an earthly one, with no eternal value. I know as I begin on this exciting study, the benefit will result in a changed man. For none can meet him and remain the same way as he was earlier. Like paul says - That I may KNOW HIM.
Father, I pray that you will lead us all on an exciting journey of knowing Jesus through the word of God, so that we would be like Him. Weak as we are, help us on this pursuit. Holy spirit, open our hearts and give us the desire. In Jesus name we pray; Amen
Friends, if any of you reading this haven't known Jesus as your lord and savior, I'd suggest you read the following blog post. http://believerblogs.blogspot.com/p/the-good-news.html