Sep 21, 2012

The lord - my shepherd - Psalm 23


Psalm 23 is very special for most Christians. It’s such a true picture of God’s love and a prophetic picture of Christ being the good shepherd. It’s the first psalm that I read as a child, long before I became a believer. I’d like to share my thoughts on each of these verses below

(Psa 23:1)  The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Until recently when I read this psalm, I used to get an idyllic picture in my mind – a very peaceful setting with carefree sheep. But in reality, we have a motley bunch of sheep here. (See Isa 40:11) Some of them are wounded through the attacks of animals, some of them are wounded because they strayed and got tangled in a fence. Some of them are pregnant and weary. Some of them are with kids who are going in all directions. Some of them have illnesses. Some of them have been so tired in their life, they need to be carried by the shepherd. Some of them have been so rebellious that the shepherd has broken their legs and carry them on his shoulders. It’s not a perfect picture –but the real perfection here comes from our good shepherd Jesus. Because he is there, we can truly find our rest. And he is all we need.

(Psa 23:2)  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
Christian experience sometimes is like feeding young kids. My own son needs to be made to lie down or sat at the table. Many Christians want to get so busy, that the lord sometimes has to coax them to rest in Him. But the lord does that patiently with every generation of his believers. He makes us rest in all the spiritual blessings that are there in Christ like it says in
(Eph 1:3) Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly [places] in Christ:

This is the experience of green pastures – to be blessed by spiritual blessings. The still waters of God – again the theme of rest. Not a period of spiritual inactivity or laziness, but a period of knowing that God is in the heavens, we are redeemed and our salvation is assured. And that we shall continuously draw from the rivers of living water.

(Psa 23:3)  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Whether you are a person who has just come by faith to Christ or if you are a returning backslider, he is the one to restore your soul (Jesus – the lover of our soul). He is the one who can put on us the robes of righteousness – that we may appear blameless before the father.

(Psa 23:4)  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
There comes dark days in the life of every believer. God uses them for his glory – when you go through that time of testing and darkness, remember that the lord has not forsaken you. He is with you. His rod is there to protect you from other beast’s attack. And the staff is there to pull you close to him if you should depart from his way.

(Psa 23:5)  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Yes. There’s a table of spiritual blessings before you and the enemy (the evil one) will see you being blessed in the father’s house. You have indeed been anointed with the presence of the holy spirit.

(Psa 23:6)  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
We are being prepared for eternity – even while we are on this earth, we have to set our eyes on the things eternal. Amen, we will dwell with the lord forever.

Choose to enter into a true intimate knowledge of Christ. Get to know him as the good shepherd. And enter into that pleasant rest where you know your future in eternity.

Praise the lord Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment